I thought I had better point out, in brevity, a few truths about deskjets,
bubble-jets, and laserjets (all trademarks) first, before I progress
to discussing a singular case.
- A printer does not function the way the user thinks or expects it to function. It functions the way its designers conceived it to. This is the first truth. Refer Truth#2 for more clarity and confidence to perform your printing tasks
- Print a test sheet–> Cut off power during the print-job–> If you’ve done this right, the sheet is now lodged in almost all of the rollers within the printer–>Bring in the electric chain saw and perform a vertical section–>By inspection, you are now enlightened and no longer handicapped by Truth#1
- Truth#2 is uneconomical but fun.
- Fun is frowned upon by superiors
Singular cases come in handy now. A colleague walked up to me with a printed
sheet, mostly text and wished to print on the reverse. His problem being that
the reverse was a continuation of the front and it needed to be uhm…well…right
side up. A back-to-back job in printer jargon. I could quite understand his
predicament. I took the sheet from him and held it against my face, printed side
up and asked him which way he wanted to shove it in and why. I followed his line
of logic and it seemed right. I would have done the same thing. I then
instructed him to load the rack in the exact opposite way as opposed to what he
rationally proposed. It worked.
Analysis:
Awareness of Truth#1 is critical because it forces one to reconsider the
entire line of reasoning that preceded actual execution. What however, is
worrying is that it took a meeting of two people to get a print-job done. A task
that should need minimal or no thought at all and definitely no more than one
person. The case also shows that inductive and deductive streams of logic can be
twisted on the head and make anyone look like a fool. It brings to light a
stream of rarely used logic – The Hunch. In fact, it isn’t a stream at all. It
is a droplet, that one bit of crystal that initiates the process of
crystallization of super-saturated solutions. The hunch is applicable in many
situations – sports, stock-markets, shopping decisions, finding directions,
intelligence and espionage, and even war.
While singular cases cannot altogether condemn
traditional inductive-deductive reasoning and glorify hunch-ing, it certainly is
something to build on and take notice of. Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink is on the
same lines. He (Gladwell) makes you take notice of hunch-ing through cases and
experiences. A mere print job is full of insights.
“Be yourself. Everyone else’s taken.”
ANON.
Contributed by: Raghav Ramji
The contributor is a PGCIM-2012 student at SP Jain Institute of Management and Research
There are some company that getting problem with their printer especially in printing process. But of course there are still solution on a deflected printer.
ReplyDeleteThermal Binding Machines